Air Lines

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Awesome
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Air Lines

Post by Awesome »

Long story short - when I redid my shop air system I used PVC because it was cheap and I did a lot of research on the pressure ratings and decided it was fine. At the time I had no idea that PVC is dangerous when it fails.

So now that I am aware that PVC is dangerous, I need to redo my air lines. I'm not worried about it at the moment because it's all 1/2" electrical conduit and is all fairly new sch. 40 stuff, so it's not brittle and has way more rating than I need.
But I will need to redo it to keep my shop safe.

I can't afford copper as the run to my shop from the compressor is kind of long, plus I have a long run in the shop. I haven't measured it out, but I think the runs are 45' long and 30' long and that's just the horizontal parts.
I think running the pe-al-pe stuff would be best, but the fittings are atrociously expensive. I don't think I'd need a lot of fittings. I found a kit at Northern Tool that would have most of what I need for about $150.

Any opinions?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Air Lines

Post by Joe Jones »

Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Is this the brand you were looking at on Northern? I used galvanized pipe on my system vs plastic because if figured in case of a fire it might allow me to escape vs being incinerated by a giant a blow torch (120 gal tank with 150 psi on it). When designing your system allow some downhill angles to a low spot with a moisture drain.

Awesome
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Awesome »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:19 am People run PEX air lines.

Joe

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pex+air+line ... pcbeca6j_b
I was looking at PEX, but I'm concerned about the temperature rating. Much of my run is directly underneath the metal roof. PEX's pressure rating drops off very quickly at higher temperatures. I can get PEX and fittings locally fairly cheap, so if it works fine I'd use it.

I suppose I should mention that I'm in Texas and have to worry about plastic piping's upper temperature ratings.
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:54 am Is this the brand you were looking at on Northern? I used galvanized pipe on my system vs plastic because if figured in case of a fire it might allow me to escape vs being incinerated by a giant a blow torch (120 gal tank with 150 psi on it). When designing your system allow some downhill angles to a low spot with a moisture drain.

Sort of... the Maxair stuff is expensive. The Klutch kit they sell is more affordable and doesn't have a bunch of stuff in it that I wouldn't need.
My shop isn't flammable. It's steel and I have very little wood in it.
I have water drop traps on every vertical line in the shop. The horizontal runs are all angled. :Like

I don't have a pipe threader and don't know anyone with one so using steel pipe is out of the question. I suppose I could weld it, but that black pipe isn't good stuff to weld. I wouldn't trust it.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Yeah my shop is all metal design as well but some of the industrial stuff I worked on was known to belch fire like a :Mad Dragon :Mad . Threading pipe is a PITA (ask me how I know this :HaHa ) I have about 100 air connects on my manifold now. I would hate to think of the replacement cost on my air manifold / air reels / connectors now as I had approx 2K in it 20 years ago.

I just looked at the Klutch kit it looks like good stuff and the prices aren't to bad. keep us updated with a build thread if you would..
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Another good idea is to run a loop around the top of your shop and connect both ends at the compressor, rather than one run straight out. This way you're feeding each drop from both ends and you won't run into flow issues or pressure drop.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Here is a good reference for a comparison of the various air line choices.
David

https://www.mfcp.com/our-blog/bid/94802 ... compressor
air line comparison.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have run PVC for maybe 25 years in the attic of my shop without problems (3/4"), I'm in north Florida. I understand the fear of Plastic pipe, I bought a replacement air system maybe 5 years ago still in the box, one day it will install it.
Go on Amazon and search for "air system tubing kit" Cannot post the link here????
Primefit PCKIT26 Air Piping System, 26-Piece Air Push to Connect Kit with 1/2-Inch (OD) / 3/8" (ID) x 100-Feet TPEE Tubing
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Awesome
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Awesome »

I'd buy that Primefit kit in a hurry, but I was under the impression that the 1/2" push-connectors don't flow as much air as 1/2" pvc does. Is that wrong? I don't really need 3/4" tubing as I don't run anything bigger than a 3/4" impact.

EDIT: yes, that tubing has an ID of 3/8". I'd lose flow with a kit like that. 1/2" PVC ID is a bit bigger than 1/2".
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think I would just go ahead and "bite the bullet" and pay up for either rigid copper type L or galvanized steel pipe. Or maybe just stick with the pvc you already have and make a sheet metal cover to attach over the pvc for protection in case it explodes. Something like the scatter shields the drag racers use to protect in case of a clutch explosion.

David
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

I picked up a couple of these on clearance, I love them... Seems price increased on Amazon.

Rapidair 90500 1/2 x 100' AirCompressor Accessories Master Kit 17.5 x 17.3 x 4.2 https://a.co/d/0g6aMBuC
PXL_20240707_185218066~01.jpg

4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:59 pm I picked up a couple of these on clearance, I love them... Seems price increased on Amazon.

Rapidair 90500 1/2 x 100' AirCompressor Accessories Master Kit 17.5 x 17.3 x 4.2 https://a.co/d/0g6aMBuC
PXL_20240707_185218066~01.jpg
What a great idea and looks super easy to install. Thanks for the tip Rokcrler :Like
Tracker CNC 4x4
Hypertherm 85

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”