Looking for suggestion...

All topics related specifically to the EasyScriber drag style scribe & engraving tool.
stickitwelding
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Looking for suggestion...

Post by stickitwelding »

Hello, so i have a client who wants me to make 150 of these(Pic attached), but i am not sure how the hell im going to do the scribing over paint and then cut out with plasma. any suggestions?
Attachments
GGF.jpg
EasyScriber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Looking for suggestion...

Post by EasyScriber »

I think you are best to cut all of your ovals first, paint them, and whip up a quick fixture that will hold each part for the scribe process. If that is steel you can stick the ovals to your fixture with 3-4 neo magnets. Check out this video

Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I would cut the circles first. Then deburr them etc. Then paint them and let them DRY.

Now create a jig for the engraver.

Frankly, I would have the circle black powder coated, and then find someone with a GALVO LASER to burn out the logo from the painted surface. It will be faster, and it will look better. It would be BEST to use stainless steel, so the text does not RUST over time, unless you are going to spray a clear coat over the object after the text is engraved.

You might find a metal fab shop that can use an ironworker to PUNCH out 150 circles for you. Not everything must be made with a plasma cutter. What is the length and width of the ellipse? You know, you can order them from SENDCUTSEND, laser cut to order, and then etch the design onto them. You just send them a .dxf file for a quote, along with choosing the material, the thickness, etc. Pass the cost along to the customer. I HOPE you have not quoted these already!

Joe
Plasma:
PlasmaCam 4x4, Samson 510 table, Go Torch, + more
AD-AH-AM-AN-3D-CS-MU-PC - Upgrades

Lasers:
X-TOOL D1 PRO (x 4) F1, S1 (x3), P2 (x2), F1 ULTRA (x2) with conveyors, M1 ULTRA (x2) + accs.
LaserPecker 1 PRO, LP-2, LP-4 + accs
50 Watt GALVO fiber
TYVOK Spider S1 60W Diode Laser 49" x 96"

3D Printers:
CreatBot D600 PRO
Stratasys Fortus 400mc
BIGREP Studio Gen 2
MODIX Big Meter

Why pay off debt when you can die owning MILLIONS? :lol:

FREE DesignEdge Training Online Via ZOOM!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

EasyScriber wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:25 pm I think you are best to cut all of your ovals first, paint them, and whip up a quick fixture that will hold each part for the scribe process. If that is steel you can stick the ovals to your fixture with 3-4 neo magnets. Check out this video

I very much agree with EasyScriber on this one for his process - but for steel parts I would recommend using a black metal dye in lieu of the black spray paint. Then after engraving, spray on a gloss clear coat. It has been my past experience that when I engraved over painted metal parts, the paint tended to chip away from the edges of the engraving lines leaving a ragged edge. Keep it simple using the tools you have on hand.

David
stickitwelding
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by stickitwelding »

im using aluminum, that pic was just a scrap test piece, but ya its def gonna be time consuming with 150 little pieces. and the size 3 " for the oval. and no i have not quoted anything yet.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

stickitwelding wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:55 am im using aluminum, that pic was just a scrap test piece, but ya its def gonna be time consuming with 150 little pieces. and the size 3 " for the oval. and no i have not quoted anything yet.
Lots of ways to do this. As was suggested - cut them first. It was not a bad idea to black anodize, followed by engraving or laser etching. Let us know how you make out.

David

Return to “EasyScriber Drag Style Scriber for Hypertherm”