Hypertherm Powermax45 Sync - Single Phase Power Supply

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
yngndrw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm Powermax45 Sync - Single Phase Power Supply

Post by yngndrw »

Hello,

I have a question about the Hypertherm Powermax45 Sync when used from a single-phase power supply - I'm in the UK where it's typical for larger single-phase equipment to use a 16A or 32A "commando" plug.

I've seen plenty of people using the older Hypertherm Powermax45 XP with a 32A plug and a retailer also mentioned a 32A supply for the 45 Sync, however, the manual mentions the following:
Powertherm Powermax45 Sync - Power Requirements.png
From this, for the CE region, a 35A supply with 50A circuit protection is required. Is this a mistake in the manual? Is anybody else using one of these plasma cutters from a 32A 230V supply?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax45 Sync - Single Phase Power Supply

Post by adbuch »

I am presently using my Hypertherm 45xp (non-Sync) on a 30 amp/240Vac circuit with no problems. I'm not sure what a "Commando" plug is.
David
yngndrw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by yngndrw »

Thank you David, it puts my mind at ease to know that you've been able to use it without problems.

I think commando plugs/sockets are more of European thing, I'm not sure they are used at all in the US. Sometimes they are called Ceeform plugs/sockets as well.

You may have seen them online before:
32A Commando.jpg
32A Commando.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
32A Commando.jpg
32A Commando.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
There are generally four different sizes (16A, 32A, 64A, 125A) although 16A and 32A are the most common. They are also colour-coded for voltage, common ones are:
- Yellow for 110V, usually with a centre-tapped Earth for building sites
- Blue for 230V, single-phase
- Red for 415V, three-phase
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the information! I have not seen this style plug here in the US, but always nice to know what others are using. The ones I use here at my shop look something like this one rated for 30 to 50 amps at 240Vac.

David
30 - 50 amp plug.jpg
yngndrw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by yngndrw »

Ahh, that would explain where the 50A fuse recommendation from Hypertherm comes from. I didn't realise that your plugs had a 50A rating.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

yngndrw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:08 pm Ahh, that would explain where the 50A fuse recommendation from Hypertherm comes from. I didn't realise that your plugs had a 50A rating.
You would only use a 50 amp fuse if your shop circuit wiring is rated for 50 amps. Probably would need to be #6 AWG copper. The fuse needs to protect the wiring. It's ok to use larger wiring with a smaller fuse, but not the other way around.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

yngndrw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:55 pm Thank you David, it puts my mind at ease to know that you've been able to use it without problems.

I think commando plugs/sockets are more of European thing, I'm not sure they are used at all in the US. Sometimes they are called Ceeform plugs/sockets as well.

32A Commando.jpg
There are generally four different sizes (16A, 32A, 64A, 125A) although 16A and 32A are the most common. They are also colour-coded for voltage, common ones are:
Some industrial applications in the US use a metallic "Pin & Sleeve" plug like this:

SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

adbuch wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:10 pm Thanks for the information! I have not seen this style plug here in the US, but always nice to know what others are using. The ones I use here at my shop look something like this one rated for 30 to 50 amps at 240Vac.

David

30 - 50 amp plug.jpg
David,

Have you noticed how these plug have been shrinking in size over the years? They are actually to a point where you feel uncomfortable pulling the plug with your fingers wrapped around it and the larger wire sizes are a challenge to install.. If you look into an RV style disconnect plug they have finger slots for an easier / safer pull and come in the same various NEMA configurations:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225278919910?i ... R7ytyeKHZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375266317450?i ... BM1qf15Ydk

Steve
yngndrw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by yngndrw »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:46 am
yngndrw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:55 pm Thank you David, it puts my mind at ease to know that you've been able to use it without problems.

32A Commando.jpg
Some industrial applications in the US use a metallic "Pin & Sleeve" plug like this:

Ah I haven't seen those before, but they are very similar to the commando plugs - I wonder if the designs are related.

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:07 am
adbuch wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:10 pm Thanks for the information! I have not seen this style plug here in the US, but always nice to know what others are using. The ones I use here at my shop look something like this one rated for 30 to 50 amps at 240Vac.

David

30 - 50 amp plug.jpg
David,

Have you noticed how these plug have been shrinking in size over the years? They are actually to a point where you feel uncomfortable pulling the plug with your fingers wrapped around it and the larger wire sizes are a challenge to install.. If you look into an RV style disconnect plug they have finger slots for an easier / safer pull and come in the same various NEMA configurations:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225278919910?i ... R7ytyeKHZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375266317450?i ... BM1qf15Ydk

Steve
The sockets for our commando plug are now, by regulation (At least in the UK, I'm not sure about the rest of Europe), interlocked meaning that they have a switch which can only be operated when the plug is in and the switch locks the plug in place. This means that it's always deenergised when you're plugging it in or unplugging it.

I'm not sure if you have an interlocked option for those Nema plugs but if you have, it might be worth looking at those.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”