Creating a cut file from Inkscape to sheetcam

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Creating a cut file from Inkscape to sheetcam

Post by Fastyankee »

I'm seriously struggling with Inkscape. If I save a file as a DFX to import in to Sheetcam it does not scale correctly it comes up with errors outside offset not present. If I open a file I save as a DFX back up in Inkscape to check it the scaling is way off. Im pretty sure you cant upload a SVG file into Sheet cam.
Enroute6 was so much easier to use but its no longer being supported. Which leaves me struggling to find a replacement .
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
5x10 Star Lab plasma, scribe, pipe cutter
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Slip roll 3/16th capacity
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Creating a cut file from Inkscape to sheetcam

Post by adbuch »

If you set your Inkscape units to inches, and import your file to SheetCam and select either 1:1 for svg or inch units for dxf - the scale will be correct. The key here is to use the same units in both programs.

Here is an example.

David
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:02 pm I'm seriously struggling with Inkscape. If I save a file as a DFX to import in to Sheetcam it does not scale correctly it comes up with errors outside offset not present. If I open a file I save as a DFX back up in Inkscape to check it the scaling is way off. Im pretty sure you cant upload a SVG file into Sheet cam.
Enroute6 was so much easier to use but its no longer being supported. Which leaves me struggling to find a replacement .
Please show an example of a dxf file that is giving you problems so we can have a look. I am not familiar with Enroute6 - but I would expect that any program you have used for an extended period of time will seem "easy" to use. It just takes some time to get used to a new program. For drawing mechanical parts, I would also recommend Fusion 360. It is free, easy to use, and will export as dxf directly from your drawing.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the same part drawn in Fusion 360, saved as dxf, and imported to Sheetcam for creating cut paths and post processing.
David
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Langmuir Systems has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial videos relating directly to cnc plasma cutting.
David

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion
langmuir.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is how to create and save an Inkscape default template for inch units. Once you have done this, your Inkscape will automatically open in "inch" units and to the drawing size you have specified. In my case, I set it to 48" x 48" to match my plasma table size.
David
https://photos.app.goo.gl/H1Rdhfpm34aDQbj46
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Good tutorial on makeing and using templates in Inkscpae.

One of the major reasons we advocate using Inkscape with SheetCAM is that SheetCAM direclty imports SVG files and maintains all of the curves and arcs along with polylines and closed shapes.

In the Open Drawing Menu lower right corner is the import file type. Selecting SVG then lets you import SVG files and you only have to scale them correctly. Its a one time setting.

DXF can cause problems depending on which program its exported from .

While Inkscape will not import DWG files, the Pro version of QCAD (currently 44 bucks) will , and lets you export in SVG to SheetCAM and doe snot "segment" the curves into line segments. QCAD also imports DXF and will probably read later DXF formats that do have polylines and arcs.

It telling that Fusion 360 won't allow export in some of the more standard vector formats .
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I would consider dxf r14 to be one of the "more standard vector formats".
David
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

I really appreciate the great help here. I'm sure we have all been to the point were its time to walk away and come back to it stage.
Enrout 6 uses mostly DXF files the total opposite of Inscape it doesn't do or like SVG files.
I attached the file below. Dave the template in Inkscape you showed me will be huge I'm working on that now.
For some reason I cant get my screen shot to work. I use an HP laptop with a very good video card which I'm getting ready to upgrade she's going on 4 years old. The error I get is no outside off set and it looks to show more than one layer so that could be the issue . This is a simple fab table file.

I have Qcad but I don't like it because I like to be able to resize and size things with inches not percentages.
Is there a measuring tool in Sheet Cam?
I like Inkscape because it is set up a lot like the Cad programs I'm use to using it just has its little quirky things and it really doesn't like DFX files.
When you your done with a file do you save as or export?
I save as a DXF and a SVG when I'm done with a drawing and save to separate folders.
I wish Inkscape had a measuring tool in it. I normally just use the line tool.
Attachments
18x27 welding lift table.svg
(30.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
18x27 welding lift table.svg
(30.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Can't help with your other issues, but there is a measuring tool in SheetCam. Right click on a point on a part and click measure. Then drag to another point and it will show you the length.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:10 pm I really appreciate the great help here. I'm sure we have all been to the point were its time to walk away and come back to it stage.
Enrout 6 uses mostly DXF files the total opposite of Inscape it doesn't do or like SVG files.
I attached the file below. Dave the template in Inkscape you showed me will be huge I'm working on that now.
For some reason I cant get my screen shot to work. I use an HP laptop with a very good video card which I'm getting ready to upgrade she's going on 4 years old. The error I get is no outside off set and it looks to show more than one layer so that could be the issue . This is a simple fab table file.

I have Qcad but I don't like it because I like to be able to resize and size things with inches not percentages.
I like Inkscape because it is set up a lot like the Cad programs I'm use to using it just has its little quirky things and it really doesn't like DFX files.
I save as a DXF and a SVG when I'm done with a drawing and save to separate folders.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:10 pm

Yes - there is a measuring tool in Sheetcam. Right mouse click to bring up menu with measure tool.
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a direct comparison between the Inkscape and SheetCam dimension measurements for one of your parts. If you set your Inkscape stroke width to zero and view in outline mode, you will see the exact dimensions of the parts. Then when you import your svg (or dxf) to Sheetcam and use the Sheetcam measure tool - your dimensions should be the same. If you plan to have your parts fit together and you know the exact dimensions you want, then you will probably need to edit your Inkscape file to reflect the exact dimensions you want. Then assuming your actual kerf width agrees with the kerf width you specified in Sheetcam, your parts should cut very close to your desired size.

David
13.jpg
14.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:10 pm

AJ - I save from Inksape as either svg or dxf r14. Not export.

When you have a new file (either svg or dxf) you want to open with Inkscape, if you open you default Inkscape template first and then import the file (svg or dxf) your Inkscape session will retain your default template properties (size, scale, etc.). If you open a dxf or svg file, it will generally default to the particular settings associated with the file you are opening. So depending on how the creator saved it, it may come in as inches, mm, pixels, etc.

I always import instead of open.

I have no problems importing dxf files to Inkscape. If they were linked correctly when they were created, they will be just fine. Otherwise we now know that we can use LightBurn to link/join and export as svg (or dxf) for further editing with another program.

You should be able to do screen shots with your pc. I have some that are much older than yours and they do screen shots just fine.

David
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with my drawing. I really appreitiate the help.
I already have the template set up in Inkscape like you showed.
Thanks
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with my drawing. I really appreitiate the help.
Thanks
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

Still getting the this error.I figured it out. How do I name the layers in sheetcam?
Attachments
Screenshot (4).png
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user
Design Edge
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm not sure why you are getting that error. I put everything on a single layer. I do know that some of the others use separate layers for outside cuts, inside cut, holes, etc. I'm not that sophisticated. Plus I don't really use Sheetcam for cutting, since I have a Plasmacam table that has its own Design Edge software for drawing, creating cut paths, etc. I use Sheetcam as more of a teaching tool.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:55 pm I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with my drawing. I really appreitiate the help.
Thanks
:Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:20 am Still getting the this error.I figured it out. How do I name the layers in sheetcam?
1.jpg

This is the Inkscape file I used for svg to import to Sheetcam. I ungrouped your original file, deleted the unwanted small path segment, and then selected all and combined. Then save as svg - I named it drawing.
drawing.svg
(28.68 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
drawing.svg
(28.68 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Great tutorial David, fastyankee here are some things in SheetCam that may help. You can break up the drawing into sections or layers. By breaking it into sections you can turn any off with unchecking the box next to its name. You change to a new one by using the contours tool shown in the screen shots. You can open multiples of SheetCam and move parts between them to separate if needed (bad cut do over). Save part as a job then open in other SheetCam screen. Breaking into section you can re-nest sections if you want. :Like
drawing 1.jpg
drawing 2.jpg
drawing 2.jpg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
drawing 2.jpg
drawing 2.jpg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
drawing 4.jpg
drawing 4.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
drawing 4.jpg
drawing 4.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
drawing 3.jpg
drawing move.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Fastyankee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:55 pm I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with my drawing. I really appreitiate the help.
Thanks
Tom gives some good advise about not trying to cut all your parts at once. I had thought about it last night and had the same thought. I'm spoiled with my Plasmacam Design Edge, as it allows all the cut paths to be created at once - but them makes it very simple to select the group of cut paths (or part) you wish to cut. With Sheetcam it would appear to be a bit more complicated. I am not exactly following Tom's photos as to exactly what he did. He talks about creating a second instance of Sheetcam and then copying and pasting from one instance to the other. You could probably accomplish the same thing by isolating the parts in Inkscape and saving each individual part as svg.

I also seem to remember Mo talking about assigning different colors (or maybe it was layers) to the different parts in Inkscape, and then importing them to Sheetcam on different layers. Some of these guys are pros with Sheetcam - as that is the actual program they use and have used for many years. Hopefully either Tom or Mo will chime in here and enlighten us as to the specific procedure (or procedures) they use to accomplish this.

Thanks,
David
Fastyankee
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee »

Dave I ended up getting the last error because I forgot to select a layer .
My guise is layers will help when doing other operations such as scribing? I haven’t tackled doing scribe and plasma in one operation yet I need to ghet through the basics lol.
Tom,
I got a little lost can you maybe show the complete steps?
Thanks
AJ
irondeuces@gmail.com
Pulmax
60 ton 53” press brake
JD2 tube bender
Hulk Tube bender
Ink Scape
Sheet Cam
Enroute6 user