PMX65 automatic air pressure regulator and valve

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
bLouChipBlacksmith
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

PMX65 automatic air pressure regulator and valve

Post by bLouChipBlacksmith »

I purchased a used PMX65, 2010 mfg year, but very slightly used, looks like new on the inside. It was previously used at a higher elevation (+4000 ft) locale than my 450 ft. elevation. Does the automatic air pressure regulator need any sort of re-calibration at my elevation and how would I do that ? I don't recall seeing this in the manual. Seems as though it would have some sort of reference point calibration.
I'm running 25ft machine and hand Duramax torches.

Thanks.
Lou
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PMX65 automatic air pressure regulator and valve

Post by weldguy »

I don't believe so Lou, should just be plug and play regardless of elevation.
bLouChipBlacksmith
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

OK, good to know. thanks. I only questioned it since when searching for more info on the cut edge bevel solution I had been reading some threads suggesting low air pressure can cause the bevel. I'm setting up for some cutting today and will tinker with manual pressure in the meantime of the genuine HT 45A consumables arriving, tomorrow is scheduled delivery.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The unit will only function with the correct air pressure input, you should supply about 100+ with enough volume to maintain a constant air pressure when cutting. It will stop cutting if the air pressure drops to low. It is recommended to put a pressure gauge at the back input location on the unit to monitor input air conditions. :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bLouChipBlacksmith
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Tom, agreed, thanks. Input air pressure on my unit always above 95psi when flowing air, 95 is compressor ON threshold. I was referring to PMX65 regulated air pressure (at the nozzle) while cutting, was suspecting it may be low due to auto regulator/proportioning valve perhaps not calibrated for my elevation. That's been answered, no calibration necessary. I did try manual psi setting on PMX65 yesterday, up to 70 - 78psi; no improvement in cut edge bevel, so I'm back on automatic. However, still not a complete stack of HT genuine consumables, the HT set arrives today I hope, so will test later and report back in related post https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=36761

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”