Saving Contour / Layer Names as a default

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Saving Contour / Layer Names as a default

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Question for the P Spider Borg,

When editing contours / layers, is there anyway to save a list of names that show up as a default? I get tired of typing in "Inside - Outside - Line" every time I open the program.

Thanks for your time,

Steve
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Saving Contour / Layer Names as a default

Post by acourtjester »

Not quite what you are asking for but I create a list of parts and go through the list doing all the outside or inside actions, at a time. And then the tool and action stays the same, so quick click on plasma and ok in the action, move to the next part. After the list is finished for inside, I move to the list again with outside actions, again just click on plasma then OK for the action. If the cut inside first the software will cut the parts on the list inside then outside operations. When doing center punch marks I go through the list using that tool and create a G-code for that first, I set the plasma for a low amps and use the nozzle I want then. Then create another G-code for the through cuts after nozzle and amp changes.
parts cut.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can copy operations from one part to another. If you have parts with an inside, outside, and marking operation. Just set one up and copy them to the other parts. It's on the right click menu for the operations box.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Thanks for the input guys, another method I found was to use colors as layer names. Just use a different color for each operation during the drawing phase, then select the use colors as layers name while importing - Presto!

Now if we can get Les's input on the original request.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Bump.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Steve, what program are you drawing in?
I use layers in inkscape/qcad/SolidEdge, so its easy to select which layers are used in specific operations in sheetcam.
I know thats not what youre asking, i too tried to change the templates/formats in sheetcam but couldnt find the correct location so i just use the above method.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:31 pm Steve, what program are you drawing in?
I use layers in inkscape/qcad/SolidEdge, so its easy to select which layers are used in specific operations in sheetcam.
I know thats not what youre asking, i too tried to change the templates/formats in sheetcam but couldnt find the correct location so i just use the above method.
CorelDraw 16 here, I just started using the different colors for each operation and It is a tremendous click saver.. I think C D 16 does layers as well, thanks for the tip. I was hoping Less would chime in on the subject.
CarterKraft
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CarterKraft »

The default layers option would be really handy.
Inside, Outside, Holes, Spot etc.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Bump for Lou @ SheetCam
sheetcamCS2
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sheetcamCS2 »

msg from OP received- I will float this as a suggested improvement going forward, I agree its a swell idea. I know the 'pain' of moving contours to another layer and having the urge to type a name.

That said, I usually take the default 'A new layer', since my use case for this function is to get something out of my way for the Operation at hand, and I know I'm not going to iterate CAD/CAM. So for similar reasons as has already been stated, the best place to deal with contours in the correct layer is in the CAD, that way iterations of CAD to CAM don't need such fixup, and if the CAD change is minor, neither do other edits (such as start points) that were previously done in SC need redo upon iteration.

In the meantime, perhaps there is a plugin than we can write to make a temp feature for default layer names. I'll look into it on the 95 deg 95% humidity days I'd rather not be in the shop :)
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

:Like :Like Thank You :Like :Like
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Currently layers that contain no data are automatically deleted. If this was not done you would end up with a slowly growing list of layer names as you load different drawings with different layer names. I generally recommend using layers or colors in your drawing. That way you don't have to manually move contours to different layers in SheetCam.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Les,

Thanks for the response, I have started using colors for layers and it is working well.

Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have tried it both ways - using colors and simply assigning names. Both work well for me.
David
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I only problem with colours as layers is that its the Line colours in the drawing not the fill colours so you have to remember to change the line colours in the drawing and think about how you want that on the layers BEFORE yoou save it . The Outline view (aka wireframe) wont show you the colours. I like to fill shapes to confirm they are closed and to visually show me the different shapes if its more one . It also helps if you are doing a custom piece for a client . You can fill with a colour that is close to what your finish will be and they can prof and see what it will look like in the final cut

Inkscape and Coreldraw define the shape lines to have width , and colour that you can change. Width does not pass though to the CAM but colour does . I tend to draw everything with black outlines of a fixed width and then assign the various contours to layers I name that make sense to me as Operations.

I tend to break the Operations down more granular and use that to control the sequence of the cuts as well as change some cut parameters of needed.

I don't know about CAD programs and line corals with DXF
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you use colors for layers in Inkscape (may be the same for other CAD) copy and paste the digital value for the color you want for the layers. Any changes in the color for other layers will show as another layer, you may end up with many more layers then you want.
digital color value.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

These are all great ideas showing some various methods of naming layers for SheetCam. For me - it would get too confusing with the colors - even though I have tried that method out in the past with success. If you do this all the time, then which ever method you choose will most likely become "second nature". I think the best approach is to pick a method that works for you - and stick with it.

David
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:27 am If you use colors for layers in Inkscape (may be the same for other CAD) copy and paste the digital value for the color you want for the layers. Any changes in the color for other layers will show as another layer, you may end up with many more layers then you want.
digital color value.JPG
Tom,

In CorelDraw you have a couple of options with your object, You can do a a "hairline" outline that has a drop down box of colors (with ascending numbers from L-R) or you can have no outline but paint the object any color you select from the color pallet. Once you have selected color"s" from the pallet they appear at the bottom of your document for future use.

A couple of things you have to watch for is if you use to big of an outline or use both outlines and object colors they turn into multiple objects with multiple cut paths. So once the object is completed only use one of the options.

When creating a sign I will do all art work. stensilfy the fonts as needed then do a "back minus front" or a "combine" command that will create one object that can be checked for open paths by painting the object. When all is good I will remove the object color, break the curve apart. Select all inside path's choose a color from the left side of the list, then do the same for the border with a color to the right of the list.

This gives the inside cuts a lower number that appears at top of the list in SheetCam. If you have a bend line with an open path just add a third color to it for separate lead in options at the SheetCam level.

Steve
Last edited by SegoMan DeSigns on Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:34 pm These are all great ideas showing some various methods of naming layers for SheetCam. For me - it would get too confusing with the colors - even though I have tried that method out in the past with success. If you do this all the time, then which ever method you choose will most likely become "second nature". I think the best approach is to pick a method that works for you - and stick with it.

David
David,

I agree when you find something that works best for you and your software stick with it. However one must be open to better ways of doing things. After doing multiple copy and paste commands for recurring part shapes, I found the "step and repeat" command In C D :Wow :Wow

Steve
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Steve I had been using Inkscape for some time now but I am starting drift away to Lightburn as some of the features present themselves easier.
One I really like is the Boolean assistant, it shows the effect by just passing over the icon, you can just move down the line and see them change then back after you pass it. Also the path offset is great to for doing shadow borders for lettering. I started using it when I bought a diode laser, and did a few wall hanger plaques. The Russell one was shot with a wide angle lens it really was a rectangle like the other one. :HaHa :HaHa These are plywood but you can export either DXF or SVG too and import in SheetCam for metal work.
boolean assistant.JPG
boolean assistant.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
boolean assistant.JPG
boolean assistant.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Jan and Gary (3).JPG
russell (1).JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:34 am

David,

I agree when you find something that works best for you and your software stick with it. However one must be open to better ways of doing things. After doing multiple copy and paste commands for recurring part shapes, I found the "step and repeat" command In C D :Wow :Wow

Steve
Steve - I very much agree that it can be beneficial to keep an open mind with respect to learning new and better ways of doing things - both relating to the software as well as in every day life. I use many different software packages for a variety of things that I do. For cnc plasma cutting I mainly use Design Edge/Inkscape/CorelDraw. I have never actually used SheetCam to create files to cut parts, since my Plasmacam table uses Design Edge to either draw or import vector files and then create the cut paths. For me - most all of the functions SheetCam performs for the typical SheetCam user are provided within the Design Edge environment.

I purchased and started learning how to use SheetCam mainly as an educational exercise to learn some of the other methods fellow cnc plasma table owners/users are employing with their work flow. I will have to check out that "step and repeat" command in CorelDraw - as that is one I had not heard of before.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One thing for sure we communicate openly and respectfully with each other and with PS members of all backgrounds share their knowledge. Many times like test driving software and or equipment free of charge. :Like :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:44 am One thing for sure we communicate openly and respectfully with each other and with PS members of all backgrounds share their knowledge. Many times like test driving software and or equipment free of charge. :Like :Like
Very much agree Tom! Often times I think that I am only communicating to a select few of the members that I know, but hopefully these conversations offer some insight and benefit to some of the others as well. Since many probably don't respond, it's hard to know how many actually read this stuff.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

For the new comers I recommend using the search function to look around and thanks those that reply to the questions they have posted with "someone in the future may be able to use this info". Poster need to understand they are not the only one that will have problems/questions, replies will show if the problem/question was resolved. It also recognizes members took the time to help. With membership around the world the search function can give an answer on their time zone. :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:49 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:34 am

David,

Steve
Steve - I very much agree that it can be beneficial to keep an open mind with respect to learning new and better ways of doing things - both relating to the software as well as in every day life. I use many different software packages for a variety of things that I do. For cnc plasma cutting I mainly use Design Edge/Inkscape/CorelDraw. I have never actually used SheetCam to create files to cut parts, since my Plasmacam table uses Design Edge to either draw or import vector files and then create the cut paths. For me - most all of the functions SheetCam performs for the typical SheetCam user are provided within the Design Edge environment.

I purchased and started learning how to use SheetCam mainly as an educational exercise to learn some of the other methods fellow cnc plasma table owners/users are employing with their work flow. I will have to check out that "step and repeat" command in CorelDraw - as that is one I had not heard of before.

David
David,

Here's your Monday jump start for the brain.

Step & Repeat (keep in mind a "-" number will provide you with an overlap that can be welded together for a sold object / like slats on the cutting table):

Bonus Round on corners of objects:

Do a search in his Channel for your version of C D if shown links are different than what you have. I am using C D Ver 16 and will probably stay with it because it has the drivers for the vinyl cutter. I think C D 20 is the last desktop version they offer, the rest is "ransomware" as I call software rental..

Return to “SheetCam”