stv vs arc light

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

stv vs arc light

Post by mkrich601 »

would you guys let a steel gantry and welded frame(stv) vs a aluminum gantry and bolted frame ( arc light) be a deciding factor.
me being a welder first I like the welded Frame but stv uses myplasmacnc software and arc light uses sheet cam. I like the arc light but can't wrap my head around a bolted together frame. also arc light has more features I can add later if I want. stv does not. pros and cons please.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: stv vs arc light

Post by acourtjester »

I have always used a welded frame for durability on the tables I built. With the forces being used to move the X and Y axis at speed bolts could have a habit of getting loose over time.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's a tough one. STV does offer welded tables now and for half the price of the ArcLight. I have not compared options but I suspect the STV is pretty stripped down for that price. ArcLight has been around much longer and their build quality is pretty impressive. If it were me and I was choosing between the 2, I would get the Arclight unless STV was local to me. Are either of these brands local to you?
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

No neither are no where near me.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Where are you located? Always nice to check out anyone local first.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

The only thing is Stv doesn’t have any accessories to add. Table wise they have the same options. My real concern is don’t know if I can add a aftermarket or self fabricated air scribe to Stv’s my plasmacnc software. Only thing they offer in scribes is hypertherm ez scribe
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

South Mississippi
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I don't know of any brands out your way. I have read elseware that the stv software does not make it easy if not impossible to add an option like and air scribe. I would be leaning towards the Arclight. Which model are you looking at, so many now. Post a link to it if you can.
mkrich601
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mkrich601 »

The ability to add an air scribe later would be really nice. But I don’t understand why it would be impossible to add to Stv
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That is the Arclight I was looking at, the STV is different and that is a nice looking unit as well. I would still go Arclight, more time in business, have a great reputation, and they are not shy about zooming in on all of the detail features of the table for you to see where I cannot see past the outer skin on the STV pretty much.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

When properly bolted & braced the frame will be plenty stout enough.. The trouble with welding is heat causes warp and very few companies have access to what BTA does here:

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=36465

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”