Hypertherm consumable issue

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hypertherm consumable issue

Post by adventureleven »

This one would be for Jim Colt or anyone else that could help.
I am running a Hypertherm 1650 on a Samson table with Plasma cam with 60 amp consumables at 60 amps. Right now I am having an issue with the consumables running abnormally hot and the cut quality deteriorates very quickly. If i put a new electrode in it will cut perfect for about 4 parts (parts are about 1 sq foot each) and then the quality deteriorates very fast from there. The electrode looks fine but i am noticing small arc marks on the tip of the electrode outside the center. I have been using this setup for 2 years now and we cut every day, sometimes 8-10 hours straight. This is a new issue. The only time I have had the shield and consumables run hot is when steel pops up and allows the shield to ground to the tip. It is hot like that but is very clean.
Help?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm consumable issue

Post by jimcolt »

1. Are you using shielded consumables? Are they Hypertherm parts? (there are some aftermarket parts thatare not always to tolerance.

2.Is it possible that you have moisture in your air system (compressor not being drained...or auto drain not working)?

3. Do you have some sort of an air dryer (dessicant filter, refrigerated dryer) or a filter that absorbs water? (element could be saturated.

4. Is it possible that the onboard filter on your 1650 is partially clogged...or saturated with moisture?

Other items.

a. Have you changed the swirl ring or the retaining cap on your torch? These items both meter cooling flow to the consumable parts. Retaining caps have internal passages that get clogged over time.

b. Check the O-Ring on the torch body where the retaining cap screws on...it could be missing...or damaged.

c. Makes sure the front panel selector switch is in the cut location.....expanded metal or gouging positions will shorten consumable life.

If you can send pictures of the spent consumables....good close-ups...often I can help diagnose issues with these.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

adventureleven wrote:This one would be for Jim Colt or anyone else that could help.
I am running a Hypertherm 1650 on a Samson table with Plasma cam with 60 amp consumables at 60 amps. Right now I am having an issue with the consumables running abnormally hot and the cut quality deteriorates very quickly. If i put a new electrode in it will cut perfect for about 4 parts (parts are about 1 sq foot each) and then the quality deteriorates very fast from there. The electrode looks fine but i am noticing small arc marks on the tip of the electrode outside the center. I have been using this setup for 2 years now and we cut every day, sometimes 8-10 hours straight. This is a new issue. The only time I have had the shield and consumables run hot is when steel pops up and allows the shield to ground to the tip. It is hot like that but is very clean.
Help?
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by adventureleven »

I am using shielded consumables and they are Hypertherm
I have a refrigerated air dryer and the filter on the 1650 is spotlessly clean
All new consumables except the swirl ring, I will put a new one in right now but the one in looks good and is fairly new.
O ring is new and good shape
switch is in the correct spot

I will change the swirl ring and let you know
Thanks
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Check the internal filter....and any external ones you may have upstream of the system as well.

Jim
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by adventureleven »

There is not a filter inside the refrigerated air dryer, just a drain for the moisture.
I have not seen a filter inside the 1650 just on the back.
I just finished this sheet and will be cutting all day tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. And send you some pics of the consumables. They are just running hotter than I have ever had them run after the cool down of air flow stops.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!! I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS GOOD OF SERVICE FROM ANY OTHER EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURE! You helped me with an issue last year and Hypertherm made it right.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I meant the filter that came with the Powermax.....on some of our units it is inside. This could be an airflow restriction issue.

Jim
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by adventureleven »

Hyper_consumables_small.JPG
Hyper_consumables_small.JPG (196.78 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Hyper_consumables_small.JPG
Hyper_consumables_small.JPG (196.78 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Hey Jim, We are still having this issue. I attached a photo of what looks to me good consumables. To give you an idea, we generally will get about 60 of these parts from one tip and electrode. We are now getting about 8 parts. They are running very hot and the air pressure seems fine.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I don't understand exactly what you mean by..."they are running hot". The picture is a bit out of focus....but the one nozzle orifice that I can see looks perfectly round...it should cut fine. The electrodes show minimal wear....I would certainly expect these parts to continue cutting well for hundreds of starts.

The electrode and nozzle do look a bit discolored....which usually indicates some air contamination...either oil or water getting into your lines.

Jim
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by adventureleven »

What I mean by hot is, after the post flow of air the consumables are still too hot to touch with your hand. I have been running this table for 2 years now and they are just hotter than normal. Hot like when you get crap in the tip and it grounds to the shield. This is the only thing that seems abnormal other than the cut quality being erratic. I am going to thoroughly check out my refrigerated air dryer, all things seem to point to that as suspect. Any other ideas?
Thanks
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

From the pictures....the nozzles appear to be running at near normal temperatures. In cases where they are severely overheated the copper nozzle body turns a dark grey carbonized color....and usually the orifice is damaged from heat.....electrode will show a similar appearance.

Causes of overheating consumables:

1. inadequate air cooling flow through torch (leak or restriction between the air regulator in the plasma and the torch, worn torch, worn retaining cap, missing or defective torch oring)

2. Front panel selector switch left in the expanded metal cutting mode....this allows some of the cutting curreent to flow through the nozzle....which can overheat the nozzle.

3. Using higher cutting power than the consumables are rated for (60 amps with a 40 amp nozzle)

4. Shield and nozzle shorted (piece of blowback spatter lodged in the torch)

Jim
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Well....cut me legs off and call me shorty Jim, that's exactly what happened to me today.
I was cutting a heap of 8mm plate, 65amp consumables, then changed to cut some 6mm 45amp consumables.
Cut the 6mm then went to change back to 8mm cutting and, went to change the consumables to 65 amp and holy shemoly, were they hot....Idiot here had forgotten to change the amps from 65 to 45...the nozzle was, to put it politely, well used.
Never done it before.....lesson learned.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”