hypertherm powermax 85 with machine torch

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
GWS.Arkansas
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

hypertherm powermax 85 with machine torch

Post by GWS.Arkansas »

ok my question is how low can you set your amps when using a 45 amp fine cut tip and if you can set it lower than 45 amps will that give you a narrower cut. i am cutting 12 gauge with a Tracker CNC machine. and as far as i know i dont have to change my air pressure cause it does it by itself. thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: hypertherm powermax 85 with machine torch

Post by jimcolt »

You can set the Amperage to anything you want below 45 amps with the 45 amp consumables. When you reduce the amperage you are lowering the enrgy density of the arc.....meaning you will have to cut at lower speeds (which is often good on thin materials as the speeds listed in the Hypertherm manual are faster than some machines can go!). You will get a slightly narrower kerf.

The best way to get a narrower kerf with your system is to use the FineCut consumables and follow the cutting specs in your manual. Your manual has a chart that shows approximate kerf width with different power levels on varying thicknesses.

The air pressure is automatically set with the Powermax 65 or 85 from Hypertherm.

Jim

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”