Recommended Settings For Hypertherm 1250~PLEASE HELP

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
LNWelding
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Recommended Settings For Hypertherm 1250~PLEASE HELP

Post by LNWelding »

Going crazy here! New at this, but trying hard! I have a Hyper-therm 1250. 4x4 table. Hand Torch. 40 amp mechanized shielded consumables. Air pressure around 100 psi.
I would love some suggestions on perfect settings on cutting 14 and 16 gauge hot rolled steel. I've tried and tried... end results- metal warps like crazy and too much dross! Metal was warping so bad on 16 gauge I gave up and bought 14 gauge. 1st practice run on a simple line to test cut speed to try and eliminate dross and the metal warped... ARE YOU KIDDING ME! LOL
My settings for 16 gauge....
28 amp
116 cut speed
.063 material thickness
Settings for 14 gauge....
40 amp
221 cut speed - tried 275 and 330 dross got worse the higher I went.
.078 material thickness
What exactly causes the warping? Too much of what? Heat I get but how do I fix it!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Recommended Settings For Hypertherm 1250~PLEASE HELP

Post by jimcolt »

The specifications in the Powermax1250 manual are correct...use the machine torch cutting charts (even though you are using a hand torch...it is mounted on a machine) and use the consumables for the machine torch as well....especially the shield. If you are using the shield for hand cutting...then your cut height is way too high....warpage and dross are the result

I'm not sur what machine you are using....need that info. Do you have ohmic sensing? Do you have the FineCut consumables and the 220404 shield?

You should be using the lowest powered set of consumables (Fine Cut) for the material thicknesses you are cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
LNWelding
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by LNWelding »

So we actually just hooked up a MRT Machine Torch and have new settings now BUT... used fine tip consumables this time.... LOVE IT! :) Who knew it could look sooooo good! And all this time I've been chipping away with a wood chisel and sanding for HOURS!!! Clean up is so quick and pieces look so good now. Thanks for your help. The rest of your Hypertherm team has been exceptionally helpful on the telephone as well as far as hooking up the new torch!
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Thanks for the good comments...glad you like the torch! If you ever have questions...feel free to contact me.

Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”