Plasma Cam Setting the software up

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
minerscreek
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Plasma Cam Setting the software up

Post by minerscreek »

I have a few problems that I need to ask for some help and or advice.
I have a Plasma Cam and Hypertherm powermax 45 touch. One, I'm not sure where all my settings should be in the touch height. I will try to upload the screen shot from both height control and the machine control. It seems if I check "use torch height control" it hits the material. It works better if the box is unchecked. I am just using the consumables that came with the machine. I was wondering if I need to order something different. Maybe my contact sensor is not hooked up right. ?????

My other issue I'm having is it seems that the torch burns way to hot. It is warping my material. Using 18ga. I set the arc at about 30.

It maybe that my settings are way off. ?????
Thanks for any help.
plasma 055.jpg
plasma 053.jpg
knoeberm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Plasma Cam Setting the software up

Post by knoeberm »

I see 2 things I'd try right off.
1. Set your overtravel to something like .05, rather than 1. When it's set that high, the machine is going to try to travel down an inch after it senses the material.
2. I think your cut speed is WAY too slow. Check the manual for your 45, it'll give you some suggested settings. I don't have my manual or settings handy right now, but if memory serves, I think we're cutting 18 ga at about 260ipm (45 amps). The manual is a great place to start, just be sure you're looking at the right table.

Your cut height is a little high, too - I set mine at .06, with a pierce height of .06 for that thin stuff. did you put the machine torch shield on it? IF you have the drage shield on, that will cause problems, too, with cut height.

This is on a DHC table, but the same principles should apply.

Marvin
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Cam Setting the software up

Post by jimcolt »

As Marvin says......follow the cutting specifications in the Hypertherm manual under machine torch cutting (even if you are using a hand torch) make sure you are using the ohmic retaining cap (220719) and the machine torch shield (220673).

Your speed is way too slow....your height is too high.....both of these will cause sever plate warpage!

The book has listings for 16 ga and 20 ga....so kind of go in between. The best speed is about 350 ipm...however that is too fast for the PlasmaCam machine....so cut the amperage back a bit and use about 220ipm on 18 ga.

Amperage 40
Cut speed 220
Pierce height .15"
Cut height .06"

Make sure the ohmic contact function of your height control senses the plate before each cut...then make sure the torch is riding at .06" (1/16") off the plate during the cut...you will get nice cut quality with these specs.

Jim Colt

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”