Hypertherm PM 1250 w/ duramax torch questions

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jdh239
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Hypertherm PM 1250 w/ duramax torch questions

Post by jdh239 »

Probably a question for Jim Colt.

I have the new duramax machine torch for my 1250, and the recommended cut height (for 65 A tip) is .06; however, I find that the tip is dragging often. Torchmate had me bump it to .13, and that seems to be doing ok. I tried .10 and noticed the tip dragging again (using the AVHC)

My concern is that I am so far off of the recommended cut height. Any ramifications to this, such as double arcing or something? Am I doing something wrong?

When set at .06 I kept bumping the voltage up, and pretty soon I could tell (based on the cut bevel) I had it too high. At .13 things look ok, but I don't know if that is because I haven't fine tuned things enough, or if I am only going to get so good of a cut being so far off of the recommendation.

Any advice you can give me in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM 1250 w/ duramax torch questions

Post by jimcolt »

The Duramax torch produces its best cut quality at the height that it is recommended to operate at. Increasing the arc voltage to a higher number will cause bad edge angularity and dross on your cuts, as well as more heat input and warpage on thin materials.

Your height control is supposed to maintain accurate torch to work distance, and I suspect that there may be some background set ups (such as z axis speed, gains, acceleration) that may not be adjusted correctly. It sould easily be able to maintain .06" height without any plate contact. I suggest working with the Torchmate tech service department and get the THC system working as designed....do not settle for a higher height!

I have a THC on my cnc machine (it is not a Torchmate) and it maintains the .06" height perfectly on all materials, I do not have issues with plate collisions.

Best regards, Jim Colt
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

Thanks Jim. I will try working with them on getting it down there.
ColdCreekWorks.com
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Are there different shields used on the duramax torch? Are the shields the same for hand and machine styles?

WSS
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Duramax torch has shields designed for hand cutting as well as for machine cutting. The hand cutting shields hold the correct stand-off for drag cutting.....the machine shields are designed to provide adequate clearance for cutting with a torch height control.

Jim
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

In case you see this here instead of at weldingweb.com, I put the fine cut consumables on the torch to try out some thinner stuff, and I can't get the torch to fire. The error lights indicate that the retaining cap is loose or not installed. I swapped out the electrode to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't. Any ideas?
ColdCreekWorks.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Double check all of the part numbers to the ones listed in the manual. Make sure you are installing them exactly as the picture shows in the manual...if they are not stacked correctly...the cap will not scew all the way on and it will not activate the "parts in place" sensor switch.....which is what the switch is designed for.

Let me know what you find....

Jim Colt
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

No good. The parts are all correct, and I double-checked the tightness of the fittings. The only difference this morning is that instead of getting a message about a loose retaining cap, I am just getting the red fault light, which goes away after a couple of seconds......
ColdCreekWorks.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Yet.....it works ok with the other consumables? I would suggest contacting the guys in tech service at Hypertherm....they are really good at troubleshooting over the phone. Here is the contact info:

HySupport
Technical Service
technical.service@hypertherm.com
800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
and Canada

Let me know what you find out.

Jim
jdh239

Post by jdh239 »

Thought I posted a reply here. My own stupidity got me. I had the nozzle between the shield and the retaining cap, not in it. :) DOH!

Once I corrected that and made sure the retaining cap was secure, things started working. I gave your support a call though, and they picked up fast and were very responsive.
ColdCreekWorks.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I'm glad it was that simple! Most other plasma systems would have tried to fire in that situation....and would have caused some damage! That's one of the reasons that we have the "parts in place" sensor switch on all Hypertherm torches.

I occasionally put the parts in my Powermax incorrectly....even after working for Hypertherm for 33 years!

Best regards, Jim

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”