Just a couple of questions from a beginner

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Thefarmersdaughter
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Just a couple of questions from a beginner

Post by Thefarmersdaughter »

I just upgraded to the Power max 65 after several months of total frustration with a Thermal dynamic machine. I love my new cutter but am having some issues with my cuts. I'm using 14 ga material and the cuts seem to be less smooth and I am getting more dross than with the other machine. I have my cut speed set at 200. Does the cut speed affect the smoothness of the cut edge?

I am also a little confused about the offset. I have my kerf set and my machine is set to cut same as source but on a couple of designs with close and intricate designs I'm having a problem with pieces in the middle getting cut out or ruined.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions that anybody has. Thank you in advance.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Just a couple of questions from a beginner

Post by jimcolt »

If you can get back with some info I'd be happy to help you get virtually dross free cuts on 14 gauge and other thicknesses with your Powermax65.

-What brand/model cnc cutting machine?
-Does it have height control?
-Does it use ohmic contact to sense the plate surface?
-Water table or downdraft for fumes?

-Can you tell me what shield (part number) you are using, as well as the nozzle (Finecut, 45, 65 Amp?)

Dross is caused by:
1. Cutting too slow
2. Cutting with incorrect consumables for the material thickness.
3. Cutting with the torch too high off the material (Hypertherm torches run closer than other brands)

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Thefarmersdaughter
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Jim,
I'm using a CNC plasma cam table. It has height control and an ohmic clip. My shield # is 220948, nozzle is 220930. Fine cut. Pierce ht is 0.15, cut ht 0.124 and cut speed is 200. Thank you so much for your help.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

So.....you have the right consumables......but the biggest issue is that your cut height is way too high. The book says to run at .06" cut height......though I find best results if you set it at .075".........both of which are way closer than .124" that you are set at. Dross is a result of cutting too high.

I recommend that on materials thinner than 12 gauge (using Finecut consumables) set the pierce height just about 25% over the cut height (.1" works), set the cut height at .075", set the speed to the book setting, which for 14 gauge is 220 ipm (you are at 200ipm, this can make dross). If you still get dross at the book setting try going 5 ipm faster con consecutive cuts until dross is mostly gone. Some metals have different chemistry that makes more dross.

Make sure the nozzle orifice is perfectly round with no nicks or damage....

Best regards, Jim Colt
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

To reaffirm what Jim said, I have the same table with the same plasma cutter other than it has a machine torch. On 14 ga with it all set to book specs and the height Jim said it cuts perfectly, almost no dross.
Carl
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
Thefarmersdaughter
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thank you both so much!!! I really appreciate your help. :)

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”