AVHC for toshiba controller

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

AVHC for toshiba controller

Post by sgt. rock »

let me say first that I am very new to this industry but this forum has been very helpful. So in advance Thank you. I bought a 4x8 table that is suppose to be a swift cut but not sure if it is completely. I believe it may just be the software and the rest of table DIY. It is running mach 3 and I am using sheet cam and I bought and put a Hyp. 45 on it with hand held pendant. My question is does anyone know an affordable AVHC that works with Toshiba controller. I know I will probably have to purchase machine torch pendant. Correct?
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: AVHC for toshiba controller

Post by exapprentice »

Hi sgt.rock

wow,
When you say its supposed to be a "swiftcut" is that an British made table or another?
Can you give us some more clues as to what the machine spec is apart from the 8x4 table, does it have steppers or servo motors.
when you say its may be just the software, what is the software, what does the hand held pendant control?
Do you mean an affordable THC (Torch height Control) when you ask for an affordable AVHC (Arc Voltage Height Controller, is this a torchmate name??)
Are Mach & SheetCam licensed versions or demo, how do you know its running Mach
Can you post some pictures of the machine, screens and parts
Where about's are you based

I am sure people will be more than willing to help you, but for me I need some more info

Best regards to all
exapprentice
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sgt. rock »

Yes on first question. I was told the guy had the rights to sell in the US market. I have since found out that may have not been true. I believe they are stepper motors from what I have read up on. I think the software is no more than Mach 3 version 2.0 because the short cut I have come to realize that it may be no more than the Airsoft logo labeled Swift cut. Mach 3 does show to be licensed. The sheet cam was on it demo and then I purchased license myself. I will see if I can find the info on the Toshiba control box. Had for about 3 months and thought I would have a better handle on it. I hope someone can tell me if what I was told I was getting and what I have are fact.

The reason I was looking at THC was because with 16 gauge or less warping occurs and tip dragging due to the bow. I have had to stand over and hold plate down to complete some cut outs.

I am located in GA.
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sgt. rock »

Not sure pictures got attached
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Why don't you contact SwiftCut, they are in the UK and are a very respectable company. I'm sure they can help you determine if it is something they built, and the people at Swift Cut are very interested in keeping their customers happy.....I have met them on a few occasions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sgt. rock »

jim Ithink your right. i am going to contact them tomorrow and atleast i will knowif it is a genuine swift cut. if they can't helpwill get back for assist.

Also i had a thermaldynamics and talked to you and went with hyp, 45 and love it. just wish i had the money at time to go 65. Just wanted to say thank you!
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

sgt. rock wrote:jim Ithink your right. i am going to contact them tomorrow and atleast i will knowif it is a genuine swift cut. if they can't helpwill get back for assist.

Also i had a thermaldynamics and talked to you and went with hyp, 45 and love it. just wish i had the money at time to go 65. Just wanted to say thank you!

That is total hogwash they (the vendor you bought from) gave you . SwiftCut in the UK has no association with that company using that name in the US. SwiftCut UK has never used the cheap chinese Toshiba (TBA6560) drivers on any table they have ever built. They in fact build an industrial level controller that is CE certified. They integrate Hypertherm Powermax plasmas with the RS485 serial port. About the ONLY things that are simialr between them and your vendor is they both use MACH3 as the control software but vastly different Profiles and screens.

To answer your original question the most often used THC with that "controller" is the Promo made in Poland. I am sure someone has the method to hook it up to the Toshiba Motor Driver card. Its pretty much a fact that the Chinese motor drivers built around the TBA6560 are junk but the goodnews is you can go on ebay and repalce a 4 axis TBA6560 for 39.95 (free shipping).
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi sgt. rock

So what happened, how did it all pan out, did you get it sorted in the end.
was it a true "Swiftcut" table or was it not as described :?:
I am only asking out of curiosity and to find out if you did indeed get things sorted :?:
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sgt. rock »

well found out what I feared. the table i have is not a swiftut but one put together by individual passing it off as one. so that being said I have to make do with what I have and try to make improvements as I can because spent to much to back out.

Since last up date have developed problem that someone with more experience may be able to help diagnoise. i believe i may have a motor or driver going bad. The machine losses travel on the x axis sometimes and when it does it is not always aparent but when it is it like it makes a chatter for second or two almost like it was dragging the tip. it 'snot though i have run it with torch off and up and still does it. i have not been able to make it do it with the pendant jogging it back and forth and with y axis movement.
it is almost like the drive gear slipping on motor shaft but it is not and the belt has no sign of wear.if you run the same job several times when you hit return to zero it returns but is always just a little off on x axis right or left. check by marking material before each start.

sorry so drawn out just want to give as much detail so someone be able to point me in right direction.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

have you tried to reduce the acceleration and velocity numbers in Mach 3 motor tuning. Lower the number and save the settings and see if you get the chatter again. Just do this on the axis that is not working correctly (X, Y, or Z) if you have slaved 2 motors do both.
You could try changing the pulses per revolution for that axis driver to a lower number, but if you change that you will need to re-calibrate the steps per inch (or mm if metric). Most drivers have a chart on the side showing the switch setting for each steps per revolution.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Sgt.Rock
Post those pictures and we can have a look at the set up.
how is the table set up 3 or 4 motors, linear slides or bearings, stepper or servo, rack and pinion or belt drives lots of questions :lol:

so if its not a Swiftcut but a total diy get some pic's posted and I am sure things can get sorted bit by bit ;)
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
sgt. rock
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sgt. rock »

I have attached some photos of general table and picture of mach 3 version. I will add some more shortly with some detailed info of motors and controller.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”