Installing SheetCAM with LinuxCNC

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Installing SheetCAM with LinuxCNC

Post by Simko »

I have been doing a little testing in preparation for when I finish building my table and I get the CandCNC electronics package with CommandCNC.

I installed LinuxCNC on an old computer last night and got it connected to my micro-mill that I made from DVD parts. I used the version that installs pre-compiled with Debian-Wheezy.

I figured out how to use the packet installer to get Inkscape installed, but I can't figure out how to install SheetCAM. I downloaded the Linux version and tried to follow the instructions, but when it says to right click and set the properties to 'execute', I don't have that selection.

Anyways, does a one have any tips for a Linux noob trying to install SheetCAM?
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Installing SheetCAM with LinuxCNC

Post by islander261 »

You need to make the file marked as executable, either through right clicking and using the dialog box or by using the command chmod. I am no linux pro but start a terminal and in it I think the following done in the directory the file is in should work:

chmod a+x SheetCam_setupV6.1.23-32
./SheetCam_setupV6.1.23-32

The first line converts it to an executable and the second line causes the installer to run.

If you still have trouble in the terminal enter man-chmod to get the man pages printed to the terminal.

John
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

islander261 wrote:You need to make the file marked as executable, either through right clicking and using the dialog box or by using the command chmod. I am no linux pro but start a terminal and in it I think the following done in the directory the file is in should work:

chmod a+x SheetCam_setupV6.1.23-32
./SheetCam_setupV6.1.23-32

The first line converts it to an executable and the second line causes the installer to run.

If you still have trouble in the terminal enter man-chmod to get the man pages printed to the terminal.

John
Thank you for the response... I was not able to change the file to and executable, but I did see on the SheetCam website where it said that if this doesn't work for you, manually unzip the file and run the program from there.

I was able to use the terminal screen to navigate to the Desktop and unzip the file. Once the file was unzipped, I found the run-sheetcam file in the Data folder. When I try to run the file ./run-sheetcam I get the following error. Any ideas? I am a complete Linux noob, I feel like I'm back in the days of DOS.. LOL

Code: Select all

steve@Linux:~/Desktop/SheetCam/data$ ./run-sheetcam
./SheetCamTNG-dev: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0)
./SheetCamTNG-dev: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.8.so.0)
./SheetCamTNG-dev: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0)
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

This is really kicking my ass.. I started over completely and did what islander said (chmod and ./ commands), but it is still giving me an error like a library is missing or something.

I am able to unzip the file and when I do it goes into three folders. In one of the folders is a run-sheetcam file, if I try to run that I get the error that I posted above. There is also an executable file in this directory that I tried to run but I get another error that looks like a library is missing.

I have been watching YouTube videos, searching forums, and I even made a profile on the SheetCAM forum, but they haven't approved it yet.

If anyone has SheetCAM running in Linux, I would love to hear how you did it!
Steve

urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I have used the Linux version of SheetCam, but like to play with the latest development features so I use the Windows version using Wine to run it on Linux. This wasn't my first choice as I would prefer to run all native Linux, but it sounds like it takes a bit more work for Les to get the Linux version ready so he doesn't offer every version of SheetCam for Linux.

Paul
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I have SheetCam running under Linux. The install went easy as a Windows install, download and run installer from file browser. Post question on cnczone and SheetCam forum, I am sure Les will take care of you. I am using the Debian 8 (jessie) distro. I am no expert but from what you are reporting some supporting libraries where either not present in the distro you installed or there was an error when you manually unpacked the installation file. The quickest way to fix this may be to do a fresh install using the Debian 8 DVD and then try with a fresh download of SheetCam. Follow the instruction on the LinuxCNC site to install it with Debian jessie. I assume you just want to use the parallel port or other standard hardware so the stock stuff should work.

John
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

Try this and your SheetCam install may run. Using the graphical File Manager application that you can find under Applications Menu > System, most likely Thunar File Manager.

Go to the sheetcamtng directory, sorry I don't know where it is on your system because of the manual unpacking, some place in your user space.
Right click or double left click on the SheetCamTNG-dev file, if you right click one of your menu choices will be Execute, if you double left click the file should run. You can also use the right click menu Send To > Desktop to place a link (icon) on your desk top.

John

Return to “SheetCam”