What is best?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
GDS Metal Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

What is best?

Post by GDS Metal Worx »

Hey all. I am going to be building a new table in the next 2 months and wanted some opinions. I currently use BobCad and Mach 3 to do most of my work. If I am taking an existing logo/ drawing, I use photoshop and illustrator to create a dxf and then use BobCad to clean it up and write my g code. I was looking at upgrading my BobCad to the newest version and also getting their BobArt plugin as well to be able to trace directly over an image. My question would I be better off to get Sheetcam instaed of Bobcad? I have spent the past 3 years teaching myself how to use BOBCAD, and there is some things that I dont like about it. Is sheet cam easier to use? Does it do auto cut sequence? Bobcad wont. Does it do auto nesting of parts? Bobcad wont. Let me know what you think if you have used both programs before.

Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What is best?

Post by acourtjester »

I cannot give a complete answer as I have never used BobCad. SheetCam will do an auto nesting for multiples of a part you load it in and then tell it how many you want and how many rows and columns to place then in. You can add more parts and auto nest another group along with the first group. To nest single parts you can drag and drop any parts around the screen and change it's angle for better fit in relation to the other parts. You can also use the screen position to move parts around in small amounts for better fit too. Each part can be cut it's layers in sequence separate from the other parts on the screen. I will also cut parts at random to help reduce heat build up. I like to load up a screen and select the parts I want to cut into different cut routines (17 parts organized into 3 cut operations G-codes 5 in one 6 in two others) just my thing :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “SheetCam”