Newbie with a setup problem in Sheetcam or Mach 3

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Newbie with a setup problem in Sheetcam or Mach 3

Post by edclayton1 »

Hi,
Today I am still trying to work my way through the initial testing and configuring my my new table and new blade runner ethercut4 system.
I managed to work my way through the main manual configurations and now I am working o the DHTC4 manal. My problem is I am trying to make some straight cuts as the manual says to do first with the DHTC4 turned off. I used Inkscape and setup a page to be 24" by 24"
Then I drew 3 each 20 inch long vertical lines on it and saved the file. Then I imported that drawing into Sheetcam and selected the old post processor recommended in the CandCNC DHTC4 manual on Pg. 102. I processed the file and then opened it up in Sheetcam. I set the torch to off and manual and ran the code. The code went through the motions correctly but the torch was about 2" above the work the whole time it was supposed to be cutting. The torch did fire though when I tried it again with the torch on. So the next time I read through the g code and I discovered that the code was telling the torch to be that high for some reason. I'm pretty sure its a setting coming form the Sheetcam or the post processor. I went back to the machine options but for this post I do not see a way to change the offset. When I opened the txt. file for that old processor I see that it says switchoffset =.052 but that depends on if the code is dealing with metric units or English units. I think I have managed to tell sheet cam that I want English units???
When I did my calculations for the switchoffset per the manual I came up with .125" on the average DRO reading.
I seem to be reading that somewhere along the line Sheetcam may have changed the software to default to metric so I am just not sure what is going on here.
When I did the tape measure check on my Velox Z axis after adjusting the micro steps I got very precise movement on that axis so I don't think that is my issue. I did program that information into both the admin utility as well as the Mach 3 motor tuning screen.
Please help me understand what I need to do to correct this problem.
Also can someone help me better understand what I need to set the Refdistance value to?
Thanks,
Ed :roll:
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie with a setup problem in Sheetcam or Mach 3

Post by acourtjester »

there are a few things you need to check
Are you using the post processor CandCNC said to use (version number ) look at the attached image to see if you have a place to put the switch offset. and the other image shows where to click for inch option.
Since you are able to read the G-code you can change it manually to the switch offset you want in edit mode (mach) save and exit for the change to have effect.
inch option.jpg
inch option.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
inch option.jpg
inch option.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
inch offset.jpg
inch offset.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
inch offset.jpg
inch offset.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

acourtjester wrote:there are a few things you need to check
Are you using the post processor CandCNC said to use (version number ) look at the attached image to see if you have a place to put the switch offset. and the other image shows where to click for inch option.
Since you are able to read the G-code you can change it manually to the switch offset you want in edit mode (mach) save and exit for the change to have effect.
inch option.jpg
inch offset.jpg
Thanks again for responding to my cries for help. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated here.

I was using the post they recommended for this test. In this case they say to use the older MP1000-THC post file that comes with SheetCAM. Ref. page 102 step 1 of the DTHC Setup and configuration manual. Unfortunately for this post there is no option in the software options to change the offset. So I had to edit the post manually, which I did. The first time I tried the metric equivalent. Wrong answer. Then I tried it with the imperial value. of .125" inch. That didn't seem to help either. That's when I started deviating from the instructions from CandCNC ands experimenting a little with the G code while in Mach 3. I really barely understand what I'm doing but I change one of the z values which seemed to be the logical choice and changed it then saved and ran the code and it worked sort of. The first cut was a success but then it was supposed to come back and do a second and then a third cut but they were both still cutting too high off the work. So I made a little progress I guess. Today I'm reading the manual on Mach 3 manual itself to try to learn more about Mach 3 and the G code itself. But in the end I still need to understand and get through the proper configurations and tests in the CandCNC setup manuals. I respect their warnings about the fact that the DHTC its not going to heal itself without doing something. It seems like everyday I get about two or three pages farther along and then I get confused or tripped up on something. But hey, I cut my first cut last night at bed time That tells me some things are working including my new machine torch and my Hypertherm itself with the CandCNC connections attached, etc...
I just have some doubts that these post processors are compatible with my hardware. Otherwise why is it writing the wrong g code instructions, or am I missing some other important settings in Sheetcam or maybe even Mach 3??? The folks over at CandCNC recommended I watch the videos on youtube produced by Arclight. I have watched those over and over about four times now but today I see about five different places where you have to specify the origin for your cuts, so this afternoon when I get a chance I will be back to the drawing board. I'm trying not to wear out my welcome too much with the guys at CandCNC with all my questions. :lol:
sphurley
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sphurley »

I think you need to download and re-read the newest ver3.1 manuals. Then if needed use the latest verX installer (do this first) then the updates for the Hub (v1.6)and DTHCIV (v1.9), and updates for sheetcam etc.
You should be using the newest processor 11D and it does have the offset screen acourtjester shows.
Steve
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The last version I have is 11J but there have been posts here about 11M but I have not found it on CandCNC site. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

sphurley wrote:I think you need to download and re-read the newest ver3.1 manuals. Then if needed use the latest verX installer (do this first) then the updates for the Hub (v1.6)and DTHCIV (v1.9), and updates for sheetcam etc.
You should be using the newest processor 11D and it does have the offset screen acourtjester shows.
Steve
I hear what your saying about the posts but for this test the CandCNC DHTCIV manual on pg. 102 specifically tells you to use the one titled MP1000-THC POST file that comes with SheetCAM. Anyway I finally figured what the author was trying to say after about two weeks and a couple of emails and phone calls. Now I am a few pages further along in that manual and can see that my DHTC seems to be working correctly. Now I am at the point where I am supposed to draw some very basic shapes and start cutting them out while using the new posts you are mentioning here. So that's what I plan on doing next. I was able to locate the M version file on their website and I downloaded it and put it into my SheetCam already. I have also done thoes updates you suggest. Tom at CandCNC had already told me to do all that.

Return to “SheetCam”