Peck/drill hole settings

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Peck/drill hole settings

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

I would like to use the drill hole feature of sheetcam and I've done a search to work out exactly how. Not too much information on it though. I'll be attempting to peck mark some holes on 3mm sheet to start with. I am running a Powermax 45. Nothing fancy where ican change the amps on the fly etc (I'm too poor to own the other type) I have made a layer in the CAD file called drill holes. I loaded the file to sheetcam and clicked on the new drilling operation button, just below the new jet cutting operation. Thought I'd do this operation first, logical I think.

So I select the "Drill holes" layer
Tool - I am guessing I select my 3mm 45A I set up previously
Min Hole size - sheetcam automatically puts in 1.35mm
Max hole size - sheetcam also puts 1.65mm in
Peck delay - 0 is auto filled in
Soft mark percent - set at 50 from sheetcam.

Do I keep with these settings? Any tips or things I should be aware of when using this drill/peck function?
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Peck/drill hole settings

Post by beefy »

Hi Ben,

I'm getting a bit rusty on how I USED to do it with Sheetcam, etc, because I designed a circuit board ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-s-EAqMfI ) to control hole centre marking. Mach3 just couldn't give me what I personally wanted. Problems with post cut air flow (when wanting to mark "centre punches" in succession), had to wait ten seconds between torch blips.

Check this thread for info: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ing#p59365

and here's the search results of "hole marking":
http://www.plasmaspider.com/search.php? ... le+marking

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

It's been a long time since I've done this, and things may have changed since then. But if I remember right, I had to build a "tool", numbered above 200 that you use in the drilling operation. Here's a screen print from my tool table.
rotary tool.JPG
rotary tool.JPG (44.07 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
rotary tool.JPG
rotary tool.JPG (44.07 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

beefy wrote:Hi Ben,

I'm getting a bit rusty on how I USED to do it with Sheetcam, etc, because I designed a circuit board ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-s-EAqMfI ) to control hole centre marking. Mach3 just couldn't give me what I personally wanted. Problems with post cut air flow (when wanting to mark "centre punches" in succession), had to wait ten seconds between torch blips.

Check this thread for info: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ing#p59365

and here's the search results of "hole marking":
http://www.plasmaspider.com/search.php? ... le+marking

Keith.
Keith,

I'm impressed! That's pretty awesome. I'm going to give what I've been told in the past few days a go and if it doesn't seem to work as I need it to, you might like to manufacture and help me out with your electrickery doodad. Not as a favour, sell me one of course, because I know roughly the process you would have gone through to get it up and running.

I've done some reading via the search function previously, but it didn't really answer the questions I had. Maybe I was reading them wrong. I've been making a proper attempt to search for things before posting the same old same old. It's worked a few times and I've found the answers I was angling for. Hope I haven't been too annoying posting all these things.
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

BensPlasmaAu wrote: Keith,

I'm impressed! That's pretty awesome. I'm going to give what I've been told in the past few days a go and if it doesn't seem to work as I need it to, you might like to manufacture and help me out with your electrickery doodad. Not as a favour, sell me one of course, because I know roughly the process you would have gone through to get it up and running.

I've done some reading via the search function previously, but it didn't really answer the questions I had. Maybe I was reading them wrong. I've been making a proper attempt to search for things before posting the same old same old. It's worked a few times and I've found the answers I was angling for. Hope I haven't been too annoying posting all these things.
Cheers Ben,

Yeah, designing that one little board was a very long journey for me (at least 8 months and about 5 previous prototypes) but the knowledge I gained is now another workshop tool for me. I'm HOPING to eventually incorporate the design into my own torch height control if I'm successful with that. On its own, hardly anyone seems interested and the price I'd have to charge to make a one off homemade board seems to have peoples sides splitting with laughter. I don't blame them of course.

The only way you are going to learn in this game is by posting questions, I've done lots of it myself. The gear we buy doesn't have manuals with a lot of the knowledge we need in this game. I wasn't having a shot at you regarding the search function, I'd simply been looking for the thread where I'd been asking the same question as you, so I chucked the search link in there too.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “SheetCam”