Clockwise or anti-clockwise direction???

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Mtw fdu
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Clockwise or anti-clockwise direction???

Post by Mtw fdu »

Had a few issues while cutting in a clockwise direction...both good and bad.

I am cutting every pierce without any un-pierced cuts. However, the cut size (which I am trying to accomplish) is way out of specs and the cut quality is not very good.

While I am cutting in an anti-clockwise direction, I sometimes get a part where It does not pierce, however the cut size and cut quality is perfect.

What should I do?

I am in between a rock and a hard place!!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mtw fdu.
Camcutcnc 4 x 4 plasma cutter with UC 100 Motion Controller
Powermax 45 with Machine Torch
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Clockwise or anti-clockwise direction???

Post by jimcolt »

Some mention of your equipment (plasma make and model, cnc machine, height control) and your parameters (amperage, cut height, pierce height, cut speed, etc.) and your material type and thickness.....maybe some photos. There are a lot of people here that can help....but we would just be guessing without more info!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Mtw fdu

Post by Mtw fdu »

My apologies JIm.

My machine is a Camcutcnc with stepper motors, proma thc, powermax 45. Pierce height was 3mm and cut height was 1.5mm. Mach 3 software and also using Bobcad v27. I am also running with windows 7 and using a USB rather than parallel port. In the past I have had issues with the pierces not being cut and have added an earth to the ground. Although this has been better it still has not been 100% perfect. However when cutting in a clockwise direction I have had ALL pierces cut without a hitch.

I have been doing a lot of birthday presents and cutting names out of 6mm plate. I haven't changed anything apart from the direction from anti-clockwise to clockwise. Here is a pic of the clockwise with the name "Timothy". You can see the "M" has been cut short by means of the top part of it and the bottom line has gone on a taper instead of being straight. The second pic are names which have been cut in 'anti-clockwise" direction and have had "NO" problems with size etc. You can see the letters are "thinner" than the painted letters.

Hope this helps.

Mtw fdu.

Edit. Something just come to mind...When cutting in anti-clockwise direction I had the drawing programmed to be cut on the right side of the letters. I still had this when cutting in clockwise. Should it have been on the left??
Attachments
DSCF0104.JPG
DSCF0104.JPG (209.28 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
DSCF0104.JPG
DSCF0104.JPG (209.28 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
DSCF0101.JPG
DSCF0101.JPG (198.73 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
DSCF0101.JPG
DSCF0101.JPG (198.73 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
cpreston
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cpreston »

Right side, Left side..

Is it inside and outside ................?
Mtw fdu

Post by Mtw fdu »

When I cut anti-clockwise it was the right. I did a trial cut and it should have been left when I went clockwise.

Mtw fdu.
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Left and right is going to swap as you go up or down that's why it is generally referred to as inside or outside as that will stay constant.
Murray
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Plasma cutting is directional based on the swirling of the gas in the torch....one of the functions of the swirl is to minimize edge angularity on one edge of the part, which comes with the disadvantage of worse angularity on the opposite side of the cut. Common plasma cutters have a clockwise swirl....which puts the "good" cut on the right side of the torch (if the torch is cutting and moving straight away from you).

The best way to remember the bad side/good side is by thinking of a cutting a ring with an inside diameter and outside diameter. The inside is always cut Counter clockwise (ccw) and the outside is always cut Clockwise. This keeps the cut kerf on the right of the torch. Most CAM software used for plasma cutting will automatically do this...unless you override this automatic setting. If you are using CAM software that was primarily designed for milling or routing....often you need to pay attention and ensure that the direction is correct.

There are some high end industrial plasma torches that have available consumables with either standard CW swirl or with CCW swirl. There often are situations in high end manufacturing where two or more torches have to cut simultaneously and opposing swirls produce the desired effect.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Mtw fdu

Post by Mtw fdu »

Thank you Jim for that info.

Sorry I haven't answered sooner but I have been away on holidays to the US for the last 10 days.

The info you have provided makes sense. I do have to pay attention when working left or right as my software has it in the setting up of each and every piece I cut.

Thanks again also to everyone else who replied.

Mtw fdu.
Bobcad V27 and Mach 3
Proma THC
Now with Rotary Axis
Laser cross hairs

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”